Officers in states beneath stress are hoping that necessary mask-wearing can cease a quickly spiraling outbreak. On Wednesday, Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey (R) reversed his earlier stance and approved native governments to require face coverings in public, whereas Oregon Gov. Kate Brown (D) mandated masks for greater than half her state’s inhabitants. A number of Southern cities — together with Memphis; Montgomery, Ala.; and Fayetteville, Ark. — have additionally made masks obligatory in latest days.
Listed below are some important developments:
- President Trump referred to as coronavirus testing “overrated” and steered in a latest Wall Street Journal interview that some individuals put on masks not as a well being precaution however to sign their disapproval of him. He additionally continued to defend his dealing with of the coronavirus pandemic.
- White Home press secretary Kayleigh McEnany mentioned that Trump’s upcoming marketing campaign rally in an indoor enviornment in Tulsa can be “a secure alternative to congregate” regardless of a advice from the town’s well being director to postpone the occasion due to coronavirus considerations and calls by metropolis leaders to cancel it.
- “For those who take a look at Texas particularly, a few quarter of all of the hospitalizations are between the ages of 20 and 29,” Scott Gottlieb, the previous Meals and Drug Administration commissioner, told CNBC.
- The NFL season is in jeopardy, in accordance with the nation’s high infectious-disease knowledgeable, Anthony S. Fauci. “Except gamers are primarily in a bubble … it could be very exhausting to see how soccer is ready to be performed this fall,” he mentioned Thursday on CNN.
- Flights, trains and buses into Beijing are being canceled as China attempts to seal off its capital from a feared second wave of infections. The worldwide coronavirus death toll has handed 447,000, whereas greater than 8.Three million instances have been reported.